A whole year has passed since I decided to start my blog – and I forgot my own Blogiversary! Yes, it’s really a thing! And by the way – since I am relaxing and eating Easter eggs right now – Happy Easter to everyone!
As mentioned here in my Australian Women Writers 2014 Wrap-up I wasn’t quite sure where to begin when I first started my blog – I had a vague idea of connecting with other readers and writers and that was it. So I began with reviewing Australian children’s and YA novels, (which I’d never done before!), spotlighting talented Australian fiction of all genre’s, and commenting on reading, writing, literary awards, literary festivals, and writing courses. And I did it! It was scary to start – but before long, as I connected with other keen readers and lovers of all things books, I soon realised this is where I belonged – amongst the book lovers of the world.
Thank you to everyone who has read my blogs, all 72 of them, commented and shared my posts on Facebook and Twitter and generally encouraged me to keep going. It has been one of the most enjoyable things I’ve done and in doing so – I have made new friends, connected and joined a wonderful local writers group, learned more about the process of writing and the publishing industry, and enjoyed reading and reviewing great Aussie books.
Overall its been a great year and I’m looking forward to many more! Thanks for stopping by!
This is where you’ll usually find me:
Some of my most viewed blog posts (not including Book Reviews):
- Australian Women Writers & Literary Fiction vs. Genre Fiction – my reasons for joining the Australian Women Writers challenge.
- Kathryn Heyman: The Craft of Writing – learn from the master.
- What is your book about: Pitching and Putting yourself out there – some hints on pitching your book – and not in the bin!
- Literary Speed Dating – 3 minutes to pitch at the NSW Writers Centre – My wrap-up of pitching to Aussie publishers – it was a big day!
- Once upon a time – Looking at the opening lines of books – What is your favourite?
- Final Wrap-up Sydney Writers Festival 2014 – Another great festival, but this year had me taking notes and it was well worth it.
I’ve had a great response to my book reviews and have enjoyed the reading of the books, and the writing of the reviews – and the process has not only introduced me to the talent of Aussie writers but will (hopefully) help improve my own writing. I can only hope….;-)
Check out all my children’s, YA and Speculative Fiction Book Reviews, and for adult fiction, covering all genres, literary and memoir – have a look at Angela Long’s Book Reviews. Angela has recently joined me at Welcome to my Library to share her fabulous reviews with me and my readers. There are too many great Aussie books to review – one reviewer is just not enough!
Look out for my upcoming posts:
- It is almost time for the Aurealis Awards (Australian Speculative Fiction Awards). The winners are announced Saturday 11th in Canberra. I will be there and hopefully make it home without a hang over this year (Hint: Lisa stay away from the champagne). Find out the shortlisted books HERE.
- The Sydney Writers Festival is coming up soon! And who is excited? ME & ANGELA. And no, we are not the only two people looking forward to it – tickets are on sale now so get in and buy them here: Sydney Writers’ Festival. Blog posts to come about some of the best events to go to.
- More reviews from Angela Long from the 2015 Stella Prize Shortlist. The winner is announced soon! See the shortlist HERE and the reviews by Angela HERE.