Happy New Year to all my readers!
I hope all you had a fantastic 2015 and here’s to a successful 2016 for all! Christmas at the Fleetwood’s was the usual fun and games with the exciting addition of flying reindeer dachshund and sleigh that we snapped up from last years Peter Alexander window display. I thought it could stay up all year-round but I’m having trouble convincing Anthony!
Last year started with a little excitement as I’d had some interest in my children’s fantasy at Literary Speed Dating from a couple of Aussie publishers, but with the passing of months and months I’m guessing that no body wanted it? Who knows, since it seems to be a rare thing for publisher to actually get back to you. When I do get a rejection I’m really thankful for the editors time. It seems to be the general rule of thumb that if a publisher likes it they’ll contact you, if they don’t, well then just look forward to months and months of a whole lot of silence. And it’s not golden. After 3 months you shrug your shoulders and move on. So I shelved the story for a bit, which ended up being all year while I started in writing new genres and new styles and… wow that’s been fun! After pottering along with a children’s fantasy for years it was good to try out some new ideas and it’s been wonderful. I’ve discovered my brain literally has endless ideas – I just don’t have enough time to write them all down!
The year coming up is an exciting one, it’s my 20th wedding anniversary so I’m off to Phuket to celebrate, Sam’s (my son) 18th (I can’t believe I will have an adult child. Feeling old!) and more time spent my hubby who has cut back on work a bit. I’ve also working on a big writing project that I’ll be blogging some exciting news about shortly. Exciting times ahead!
Here’s my Blog Roll from 2015 in case you missed anything! Thanks Angela Long for your contribution of book reviews!
- Russell Prize for Humour Writing
- Book Review: Boy, Lost by Kristina Olsson (Review by Angela)
- Book Review: The Book of Days by K.A Barker (Review by Lisa)
- Book Review: Captain Starlight’s Apprentice by Kathryn Heyman (Review by Angela)
- Book Review: Phantazein edited by Tehani Wessely (Review by Lisa)
- Aurealis Awards Shortlist
- 2015 Stella Prize
- Book Review: The Strays by Emily Bitto (Review by Angela)
- 2015 Coastrek: Walk till the Bookends
- Book Review: Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke (Review by Angela)
- Inky Awards Longlist
- Book Review: The Invisible History of the Human Race by Christine Kenneally (Review by Angela)
- My 1 year Blogiversary
- Book Review: The Eye of the Sheep by Sophie Laguna ( review by Angela)
- Aurealis Award Winners
- Book Review: The Golden Age by Joan London (Review by Angela)
- 2015 CBCA Book of the Year Shortlist
- Book Review: Heat and Light by Ellen Van Neervan (Review by Angela)
- 2015 Stella Prize Winner
- 2015 NSW Premier’s Literary Awards Shortlist
- 2015 NSW Premier’s Literary Awards Winners
- Varuna Sydney Writers’ Festival 2015
- Australian Literary Award News: Miles Franklin Award & Russell Prize for Humour
- Book Review: Whiskey and Charlie by Annabel Smith (Review by Angela)
- Book Review: What Happens in Book Club…. by Robin Elizabeth (Review by Lisa)
- 2015 Speculative Fiction Festival
- Book Review: Figgy in The World by Tamsin Janu (review by Lisa)
- Writing Workshop with Garth Nix
- Book Club 10th Anniversary at Byron Bay Writers’ Festival
- 2015 Literary Award News: National Biography Award & NSW Premier’s History Award
- 2015 CBCA Book of the Year Winners
- Mama Lana’s Community Foundation
- 2015 Queensland Literary Awards
- 2015 Inky Award Winners
- Book Review: Paradise Lot – GoneGodWorld Episode 1 by R.E Vance (Review by Lisa)
- Book Review: Mortgage Free by Heidi Farrelly (Review by Lisa)